Followers

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Hi all,
 
I am convinced more and more each day that the majority of our obstacles are self created and mental.  (Yes.., I understand that there ARE physical limitations, especially as we get older.)  However, I firmly believe preconceptions, narrow mindedness, negative thoughts/influences make us "think" we are less than we are and make us "think"we can't do things we CAN.  Over time, these thoughts can do some major damage to what could be our true potential.  Think about it....... Our minds are truly a battlefield.  If we're not constantly aware of this, we won't begin to equip ourselves for the battle.  No planning, no tools, and no motivation is recipe for an ass kicking and lost opportunities to be all that we could be.  Remember..... what you feed, grows.  Whether it's fruit or weeds.  Do you want to bare fruit or get overtaken by kudzu?
 
I, like all of us, have to go to war each day.  Sometimes I get my ass kicked!  (Okay...more than sometimes) When I do, I have to keep it fresh in my mind in order to not repeat it again.  As a runner, I have succumb to an ass kicking quite often.  I would also venture to say that its been mental 95% of the time.  If I let myself quit in a training run, I know I am weakening my mind.  If I can stop then, its gonna get easier to do so the next time.  Slowly, I will convince myself that its "okay" to do so.  I had a similar experience with two training runs on a section of the Art Loeb.  The first two attempts broke me.  I "couldn't" get to the top without breaking into a hike.  The 2nd time was more miserable than the first and I found myself thinking it was "okay", and how it was physical b/c I haven't been running lately.  Its sooooo easy to sell yourself to avoid pain.  Last Friday, I slammed the door in the salesman's face!  I refused to lose the mental battle again and redefined myself.  I could have ended the run deflated again and fed negativity or I could put my head down and simply not let quit, stop, walk, can't, etc. be a part of my vocabulary.  Its NOT okay to give less than your best.  Once you decide you ARE going to do it, it simplifies things.  Quitting is NOT an option anymore.  You know what door you're going to open.  You simply have to step through, and never look back.  (Yes, I also think it takes a lot of courage to "try" and have heard a lot of people give credit and say "at least he tried" Bull shit.  Do or do not.  Make your mind up and prepare to "DO" like you intend to actually "DO" Luke warm water sucks and the only thing you find in the middle of the road are dead possoms)  Trust me, I'm talking to myself here more than you all.
 
All of us are very different.  We all have different mountains to climb.  Whether its Everest or sitting up in your bed without assistance from a nurse, the battle of the mind is the same for us all.  Last Friday's run may have only lasted an hour, but the mental/physical choices I made in that hour changed who I was for an entire weekend. When you conquer fear, doubt, negative mindset, poor self image, and a slew of other psychological weapons of the mind, you become free to be all that you were meant to be.  We may not win every battle, but you better start arming yourself with positive thoughts, quotes, constant motivation, influences, and self talk to win the damn war!  Remember... "It's never too late to be who you might have been."

No comments:

Post a Comment