Followers

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Hi all,
I've always been back and forth on the whole New Year's resolution thing. On the one hand, I believe any and every day can be an opportunity for a fresh start. On the other hand, I think most people don't take enough time in their daily schedule to evaluate their lives enough to spark a change that will stick on a daily basis.
That makes the New Year a very good opportunity for most people to (somewhat) take it seriously and follow through with some positive changes. That excites me! I LOVE to see people set some goals and shoot for the stars. It also breaks my heart a bit to see so few of us actually accomplish those goals and consistently press forward enough to set some new goals that will trump the last. I am also split on the magnitude of the goal. I hear that you should set attainable goals. But, I also believe that if you are a firm believer that the goal is "attainable", you did not set your goal high enough. When you set your goals this year, I simply ask that you set at least one that scares the absolute crap out of you. There is a HUGE difference in the preparation of that goal vs. one that you believe you can handle. The choice of the pursuit says a lot about who you are at present and who you aspire to be in the future. We've talked about this before....... There are a few steps to make any goal, regardless of magnitude, happen.
  • Commit (Think about that and its definition.)
  • Eliminate obstacles (This can be self placed or placed by people around you that may not be the best influences)
  • Let as many people around you in your close group know your goal. They will will lift you up, motivate, and enjoy the journey with you. (Be aware though that A LOT of people in this world have big erasers and ready to erase any attempt of you making any sort of positive mark due to their own self worth issues.)
  • Place a reminder of your goal in as many places as you can to be constantly reminded of its importance and your commitment. (I also think its a great idea to place the reasons WHY you want to accomplish your goal in order to constantly re-evaluate WHY you're doing what you're doing. If the WHY is solid, then you're far more likely to stick to it.)
  • Seek out mentors that have "been there, done that". (This also may mean ignoring people that try to give you advice, but know nothing about what they are talking about. There are a few people out there that "think" they know a lot, but know absolutely nothing.)
  • Forgive yourself if you screw up and keep pressing forward. (Use the motivation and energy from the screw up" as fuel for the redemption.)
  • Plan the celebration or milestone with a specific date. (External "prizes" motivate a lot of people. Maybe a vacation you've wanted or anything you've neglected to reward yourself with. Make yourself EARN IT)
  • Pray. (And often)
  • Take time to take your eyes off the prize at the end long enough to enjoy the journey and its transforming power.
(This is my own compiled list, and I'm going to follow it bullet point by bullet point. This may not be "your" way. If its not, create your own bullet point list.)
I'm also throwing some accountability into this one. I want to know what that goal is. If you're daring, you can hit "reply all". (MINE: I have a confirmed registration into the Leadville 100 this Aug............ I'm so scared I want to vomit each time I think about it)
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Lets make it EXTRAORDINARY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment