Followers

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Sometimes we need to slow down

Hi all,
I apologize for not sending this yesterday. I simply could not seem to find the time. I canceled a few appointments today in an attempt to catch up a bit. As I do so, I notice a gift one of my sons gave me sitting on my desk. It reads:
"Walk a little slower Daddy."
Said a child so small.
"I'm following in your footsteps and I don't want to fall.
Sometimes your steps are very fast,
Sometimes they're hard to see.
So walk a little slower, Daddy
For you are leading me.
Someday when I'm all grown up,
You're what I want to be.
Then I will have a little child who'll want to follow me.
And I would want to lead just right,
And know that I was true.
So walk a little slower, Daddy,
For I must follow you."
I keep this by my computer as a constant reminder of where my priorities are. Every day, I tell myself that I will do better, that I will learn to say "NO" so that I'm not so overwhelmed, stressed, and lose sight of the father I want to be. Its gotten a bit out of hand lately and I have found myself back out of control and giving my family the worst possible impatient, no fun, and zombie like leftovers at the end of the day. A lot of people regain a clear head in several ways. My way is to simply lace up my shoes and head out the door. Any run will do, but its the LONG ones that allow me to come back uncluttered, positive, hopeful, and focused. Its been too long! A lot of people use the Labor Day weekend as a time to enjoy their family and refocus. Its a long weekend. Maybe get a double dose of clarity with a long run, bike, or hike this weekend. Enjoy! And try to soak up every moment. Time is soooooooo very precious. Use it wisely. Take every step in the way you would want a child to follow.
Take a second to hear this song EVERY day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0ot_vBWwE4

No comments:

Post a Comment