Followers

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Hi all!,
Today is much better than last Wednesday for sure. After 3 plus lonnnng weeks of injury, I chanced a trail run yesterday. I couldn't resist the urge to see, possibly, the last snow of the year on the mountain tops. First run back was 12 miles of cold awesomeness. I have missed trail running. Now, I have my long lost friend back. Today is a good day. At times, you don't know the all encompassing value of something until its gone. We go through each day taking the things that are most important to us for granted. I soaked in every experience of the first run back as if I were peering through a child's eyes. I returned more joyful, thankful, peaceful, and hopeful. Now, to maintain that "hunger" to get back out there. The sunshine today is certainly helping that pull today.
I had a conversation with someone recently about "happiness", and what that means. That made me think about how miserable I was for 3 weeks. Every injury has resulted in the same. Its been a BAD two years actually! Too often, if one thing goes wrong, it can cause a domino effect that can rob you of your "happiness". The truth is, happiness doesn't revolve around one single thing. If we put that much energy into one area of our lives, our balance is out of whack. Running is a bit different. I can bike, lift, or whatever to get my hormones in cohorts again, but other areas of our lives may not work like that. We need to ask ourselves what "thing" in our life, would cause an absolute chaotic downfall if taken away. Recognize that, and adjust quickly! Add new hobbies, explore, look at new adventures with "child like" eyes. All of our eggs in one basket is nerve racking!!
Relationships, toys, or even jobs can fall into this question. A client asked me not long ago what I would do if I couldn't be a personal trainer or manage a health club. "I don't know! This is all I know. I don't have a backup plan." Truth be told, I panicked a bit. I need a backup plan! I made a choice in moving here for my "career" ego to take a huge hit going from the top of the ladder in corporate health club world to a mom and pop shop tennis country club. The two are DRASTICALLY different. I didn't know how the leap of faith would go in the quest for balance. One local trainer told me when I first moved here that this club would push me "beyond the point of insanity." That sounded encouraging. All sorts of new obstacles to overcome. GREAT, a challenge! One of many to come. With the choice of moving to Brevard, I instantly went from years of making a solid income with great insurance and retirement to making less than I made managing health clubs ten years ago, and now with no benefits. Why would someone do that? Wait, it gets better....
At the first of the year, I dropped to the title of P.T. Director cutting the slim income in half again. I sacrificed a lot in an attempt for peace and balance. We've downsized everything to make that happen. But this is totally new territory. I used to put all of my eggs in the basket of being the leader, general manager, or district manager of every health club I've been in. That left no room for balance outside of that basket. I poured my time/energy into the staff and members. Transitioning to a small town tennis club from the "fitness" industry has been riddled with many frustrations and challenges. It hasn't been easy, and the patience required to "follow" in your field of expertise is maddening (most of you know, I'm not a smile and wave type person), but the balanced result is worth it. I spend time with my boys, clean the house, cook, and have even grown "fitness" awareness here in Brevard at the same time. I volunteer when needed. I've coached my boys' basketball teams. I pick them up from school and spend time that can NEVER be recovered playing H.O.R.S.E., throwing ball, and running with our dog.
I will try my best to never take trail running for granted again, but I will also not allow it to determine my mood or outlook on life if I can't. There is more to life than money, and there is more to life than tackling that next trail. Like my career downsize in the pursuit of what life "should" be about, I also need to "downsize" the importance of the things that dictate my mood, productivity, and joy. Those things may simply have too much weight. I still haven't quite figured out the balance thing, but I'm determined to keep moving the pieces of the puzzle around until they fit. OR, are we simply to embrace where we are in a peaceful contentment? I've often heard that if you can't find happiness each day, you have to start with a hard look in the mirror. What you may find inside could be a happiness "robber" such as regret, ungratefulness, selfishness, greed, worldliness, loneliness, on and on. The key is to uncover and DO something about it. Even if its an uncomfortable step into the unknown. One step is for sure. Move. Don't ever be afraid to move in the direction God is pulling you.
Any wise words as a response to this particular email may be appreciated by the group in the form of a blog. I know everyone has an opinion on "happiness". This little email doesn't scratch the surface of my definition of happiness and "joy", but it was already getting a little long...........

No comments:

Post a Comment