Followers

Friday, May 24, 2013

Explore

Hi all!,
 
There is something quite liberating about finding a way to go on an adventure every day.  Tyler and I ran 18-20 miles of new trails (to us) yesterday.  Each time I do that I feel like a kid soaking up every bit of the scenery I can, smelling every new smell of each section of trail, and anticipate all the things I will discover around the next bend.  Along with that, you don't have a clue how long the next climb will be.  Challenge, exploration, gorgeous summits, waterfalls.... It doesn't get much better than that.  After the run, I had a great idea to simply close my eyes, point to a spot on the map, and tackle the trail closest to where my finger lands.  Someone once pointed out to me.... "What if you get lost?"  My response:  That would be awesome!  I will have a better opportunity to explore, get more in tune with my primal instincts, and a good chance I may get to be out there a little longer with a bigger adventure than I had planned.
 
Tyler made the observation of his dog, Deere, that no matter how "dog tired" she gets or how much her tongue drags the ground, she can go into an all out sprint to chase a squirrel that ventures onto the trail.  I commented that we all have that instinct.  We all have more in us than our brain tells us at times.  Its amazing how you can be absolutely spent, lost, hungry, thirsty, just wanting to lie down on the next rock you come to and then go another 10 miles you didn't expect to go just because you know a Gatorade is waiting in the truck.  We've all seen the end of races where 200 yards before the finish line, the person sprints across the line with the energy of the crowd.  A mile back, their minds were telling them they were done and had nothing left to give.  Its days like this that you break through mental barriers, raise the bar, and prove to yourself you have so much more you can accomplish.  Doing this enough, and you prove to your mind/body that you can do anything.
 
Today is the day for you to just get out and go.  Even if you have no direction.  One of my favorite bumper stickers is:  "Not all who wander are lost"

No comments:

Post a Comment