Followers

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Hi all!
 
Tyler and I survived the stage race in Chattanooga.  The three days of running the mountains of Tenn. only made us appreciate this area and these mountains more.  It just doesn't get much better than the playground we have in our own back yard.  It was still good to get away and go toe to toe with other trail runners and explore the mountains on the outside while exploring the soul within.  I learn something from every race, but a three day stage race opens the door to learn A LOT.  Each day, each course, and each day's mindset carries with it a ton of opportunities to "figure things out".  I couldn't help but think about all that the 60 miles of mountain single track were teaching the other runners.  One particular guy was from Florida.  There aren't mountains to train on in Florida.  I'm betting he learned a few things each day.  Heck, there were 250 people that started the race, and only 188 that finished.  I'm betting the lessons learned for the 62 DNF's were a bit harder to swallow due to the regret that will NEVER go away for not finishing what they started.  People always ask me why we do things like 60 miles in three days or any other random event.  The answers vary widely, but I typically always come back to wanting the challenge.  The truth is, sometimes I don't want to do it.  But, I am experienced enough to know that I learn more about myself through the fires of life.  I grow and become stronger.  I eliminate crap in my life that is meaningless and have more clarity to look at things that matter.  Races are a way to control the learning process to a degree.  You know the date on the calendar.  You know what you need to do to prepare.  You know what time in the morning the race starts.  You know the simple goal of getting from point A to B.  The way I respond mentally with overcoming a (somewhat) controlled challenges spills over to how I will react and respond in life.  Races are a way to "proactively" plan a self learning day.  I've always said that things that get you out of your comfort zone defines you based on your response.
 
We all have choices every day to make us better or NOT better.  One thing is for sure.  Life is hard and it doesn't hurt to train for it.  Through my experiences with endurance sports, I will recall the times I have pushed through and the sweet rewards of crossing that line knowing I didn't submit to the all to frequent urge to quit when it started to hurt.  I will keep putting one foot in front of the other and there will NOT be a DNF (Did Not Finish) by my name.  "Pain is temporary.  Regret is forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment