Followers

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I search for inspiring stories daily in order to get my own behind out the door. Different things motivate different people. My choice for the day was to put in a dvd of the 2009 Kona Ironman. It, and a few of the following year's coverage never fail to inspire. As a trainer, I hear "I can't" FAR too often. When I watch stories of cancer survivors, amputees, former addicts, people in their 80...'s taking on an Ironman, I get FIRED up! So what is the difference in those and the vast majority that stick to doing what they know they can? Fear of failure? Ignorance? Source of motivation? Time? Money? There is one other thing I've noticed with most gym goers and those that actually get out there. One question I have received from a gym member sums up my point and i wish i could slap all with this mentality: "Why do you do this? You look great. You dont need to lose weight" WHAT! What is wrong with you shallow, narrow minded, vain, self absorbed, look obsessed people!? You know these folks...they are the ones that cant stop looking at themselves in the mirror, fix hair and makeup before hitting the gym, refuse to turn up the intensity for fear of getting sweaty. You will also find these people talking to every person they run into in the gym to fish for a compliment to make them feel good for the day. I am, and have always been an extreme anti-health club person for that and a few other reasons. Those that sacrifice time, effort, energy for much deeper reason are the ones (1% of gym goers. 100% of those doing an Ironman) that get in and get it done with a focus and intensity that turns the rest of the world, the mirror, the scale, and whether they get their hands dirty silly and childlike rubbish.

No, I dont do this to look good in front of the mirror. I don't do this to look good for you or anyone else. No, I dont do this to lose weight. And, NO, I am not going to waste my precious workout time explaining deep, philosophical, emotional, spiritual, mindful, physical, and endless other reasons why those that cross any finish line do what they do. I could explain it for you, but I cant undetstand it FOR you. Until you stop relying on other's for your own happiness and self worth, you will never get it. Its one of those journeys you'll have to take for yourself. "Working out" is superficial and full of vanity. Nobody gives a crap what you look like. "Training" is a quest. Its an adventurous journey...a maturation from child to adult. If you are reading this and have no idea what I'm talking about, you are merely "working out", socializing, and meandering through life. Maybe its time for a challenge that scares the crap out of you. Maybe its time to do some soul searching and mental discovery. Maybe its time to "train" Stop saying you "can't" do something when the truth is you "won't" or arent willing to for whatever reason. Say what you mean to say. You're only lying to yourself. Its time to face the truth and bust through your plateau, sign up for that whatever you've had an eye on for years, or to simply become super focused with the quest to be all that God made you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment